Tuesday, September 13, 2011

27 July, 2011

Things are going great as always here in Brazil! Today is a crazy day. We are going to the Policia Federal at noon. That means no temple today, oh well. I got up this morning, wrote some letters and then we went out and hit São Paulo. So my companion got this cool green pen at the paper store last week. i have to admit, fame of the green pen spread quickly and i had to pick one up this morning! haha.

So, crazy stories from last week include the following: So guns here aren´t very common among normal people, and yet among guards and police they whip out and hold their guns whenever they feel like it. It´s pretty funny. Last week i was walking with my companion and all i saw was a man stepping into this little shop, stuffing a gun into the front of his pants. ´´Elder! Elder! That man has a gun, let´s get out of here´´. I didn´t panic but i tried to get my companion to turn around. As we walked away from the man, my companion told me the man had just gotten out of the police car right behind him! Haha I didn´t see the car! All i saw was the gun and said vamos! It was pretty funny.
So you know how every language has those words that sound very similar? I was teaching last week and said Vamos terminar com coração, instead of Vamos terminar com oração. Oração means prayer and coração means heart. That was a pretty funny experience because who we were teaching just started laughing and i didn´t get it. We also did TRC this last week a lot. TRC is teaching in these rooms downstairs. They are little living rooms with couches and they have cameras in them so after you teach you can watch it and evaluate yourself. My companion and i got to be investigators for a group who left Tuesday. That was cool.
Then on Saturday we got to teach in the TRC rooms again. I love how the spirit pulls everything together. I had had a bad morning on Saturday and was not feeling it. But we were able to prepare and pray a lot, with real earnest. The Spirit really is the key to missionary work. When we teach, my Portugués is never better. We were teaching a Brazilian man and it´s amazing how we can actually understand what he´s saying. I´m getting better and better at that
We got 2 new brazilian roommates last week, they´re headed to the Vitoria mission like a friend from BYUI. They are really cool guys and really funny. One of them speaks really good English, so it´s nice because he helps us out with our speaking. Basically it’s nice to be here, but i´m starting to get really ready to get out of São Paulo! i am so excited to get to the field! Salvador is going to be so great! And we actually get to start the real work, that´s what i´m mostly excited for. Don´t get me wrong, i like it here. And i know i can learn a ton more in these last two weeks and i feel motivated too! I´m so pumped right now. It is the best feeling in the world to work hard all day, and then wind down at night. I Write in my journal, lay in my bed and just smile! I´ve never been so happy in my life. So happy to work, to give and to be better, This mission seems like way to short of a time! I´m already two months down!
Anyway, I love being a missionary. I hope all is well in the states, i literally know nothing about current events. I´ve been reading the Book of Mormon in portugués and i finished O livro de Néfi this week. The first book at least! Thanks for all the support!